Friday, April 17, 2009

I am not quite sure where this idea came from. I think I was influenced by the fact that I am taking American Horror to fulfill a requirement, and watched Psycho earlier on in the semester. Whenever I look at the knife the Octopus is holding, the sound of the high pitched violins from the shower scene go round my head. I had a lot of fun working on this project. I did forget to finish drawing the left eyebrow, however. My section of the mural connects with the picture on the left as one of the tentacles actually goes into the frame and can be seen wrapping itself around the waist of the woman. The Octopus also connects with the picture on the right, the urban cowgirl, as one of the tentacles turns into the rope that she uses. Furthermore, the bubbles match the shape of the loop of the lasso.

Looking back at the photographs I think the octopus is too cute to be inherently evil. Nevertheless, the Octopus is a character that resonates with evil characters from horror comics-although it is not a serious character at all. It lurks around the streets at night, awaiting its victims. It carries a bloody kitchen knife and as it lollops towards you, you realize that no matter how many times you block the knife there will always be another arm coming at you. Its glowing red eyes haunts its victims for days until it finally decides to squelch along and strike its soppy blow.

No comments:

Post a Comment