Monday, April 6, 2009

Bridge Mural




My character is Bobby. I chose that name cus it's a fun stereotypical hipster name. At least I feel it is. Anyway, Bobby is drawn in the style I used to cartoon with my Junior and Senior Year of high school. In general, I try to stay away from noses, unless I have a really fine marker, because I think noses ruin the cuteness/innocence of cartoon faces.

I drew a striped shirt because I wanted to use more than one color. I thought that would pop more, and it worked well against the orange background. I first wanted to make it look like Bobby was hiding from the police against a wall. However, I ran into a snag with his hands. Nevertheless, when I was positioning his body, I realized that I was running out of space to fit in his frame. That's when I decided to make him and his limbs look as awkward as possible. I especially like the way his torso turned out.

I also like that he looks like he's in a trance. He first had sunglasses, but I didn't like them, so I decided not to be lazy and to give him eyes. When I began with the white circles though, I realized that the hypnotized look would be cool, so I went for it.

I decided to give him 4 hands because Tyler, who drew the guy next to my work, said it might be cool to do that. I agreed. So I guess that's another way that we collaborated. My piece joined together with his also because Bobby looks like he is reaching over into Tyler's piece with a yellow spray can. Tyler's mural had a lot of yellow in it, so basically, my character likes to steal other people's work. The same is true for Kyle's piece. Another of Bobby's hands is holding a red spray can-- a color Kyle used a lot in his piece.

This was my first time using spray paint, and I think I'm hooked. (Thankfully not on the spray paint, but simply to drawing on walls.) It was really fun, and I will definitely work with spray pain in the near future. Perhaps when finals are done...

No comments:

Post a Comment