Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Adeeb's White Board Murals

When deciding on my final project, I considered the previous work we did this semester. I really liked all of them but I never felt as though I completed the mural project. I like to draw multiple pictures in order to tell my story and so I felt as though I could expand on that previous work. Since this was a new project, however, I wanted to try a new medium. Somehow the idea of drawing on the whiteboards in the Link got stuck in my mind. I talked with the people in charge of the Link and found it very difficult to hold a classroom (with the gigantic whiteboards) for drawing and so I had to use the group study room walls. As a result of this considerable
workspace decrease, I scripted the story of my mural as four separate stories. I wrote the story boards but I found them very difficult to draw. I just wasn't sure how well they'd transfer onto the whiteboard since my pencil drawings are detailed and have a gradient of black whereas dry erase markers aren't too precise and only make one solid color. Thus, I simply went into the study room and went to it.

As you will read below, my stories are centered on one person. I'd like you to look at the pictures to decipher the story and then read my written plot underneath. One of my goals was to make the drawn stories clear on their own (except for one) since most of my artwork has always needed extra explanation. The stylistic choice for the drawing was pretty simple. I focused on the typical white board doodles and went from there. I used some basic techniques to make the stories coherent. For example, I used linearity (the story moves left to right and up to down). I also used arrows and bubbles with pictures inside to convey the words.

One quick note--each story ends with a detailed drawing of the character after the story has taken place. Also, these stories are pretty dark so be warned.

Story 1: Adam



This is the story of Adam and his younger brother Aziz. When Aziz is born, he is immediately loved and taken care of by his brother Adam. The two have a very close relationship. However, as all children, they grow up quickly and move onto their own paths. Adam starts having trouble in high school and at home with his parents. Aziz recognizes this and reminds Adam back to their good old days. Adam, who never wanted to see his brother grow up, is touched and begins to do well again. Eventually, he moves to college. In his absence, tragedy strikes his family at home and they are murdered. Adam cries and pleads to God. His wish is fulfilled as the Grim Reaper then pays him a visit.

Story 2: James



This is really the story of James' mother. After finding out that she's pregnant, she tells her boyfriend who then abandons her. The loss of her boyfriend causes the mom to have an emotional breakdown. She goes to confessional to and realizes that she cannot have an abortion. Later, she is contacted by a mysterious man who offers to help her. He brings her into a lab where her baby is given a mysterious shot. After she gives birth to a baby boy James, the man returns and takes her baby away. The man is seen giving a presentation about US soldiers to a general while the newborn is kept in solitude. Later, after James grows older, he is moved in an army van. He looks outside to see a tower falling onto the people below. He takes the new age army suit and then breaks out of the truck to save all the people.

Story 3: Roy



Roy is a young misunderstood genius. He has no friends at school and he lives alone with his mother who is actually in a vegetative state. He has no one who consciously cares for him. One night, after a bad day at school, Roy cries on the stoop of his home. A man who's been following him for some time pulls a gun and kidnaps the boy. Roy wakes up to see a satanic cult surrounding him in the middle of a forest. He's cuffed, covered in pig's blood and thrown into a coffin. As they bury him alive, they chant to the devil. The story ends with the cult burning down the forest in which Roy is buried.

Story 4: Max



Max is the most popular guy in school. After beating his rival high school in basketball, his envious opponents decide to pull a prank on him. They sneak into his locker room and leave a message on his cell phone. Max reads the message, saying his friends will be meeting in the woods that night. Max shows up and is confused why no one is around. The thugs from his rival high school appear and chase him deep into the woods. Max loses them and stops to catch his breath. He hears a rumbling somewhere near. A savage looking wolf comes from the bushes and attacks Max. Max blacks out. He wakes up in a strange bed with a beautiful girl staring right at him. Note--visually, the end of Max's story is pretty confusing. I wanted to make it like that since Max is also very confused at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment