Saturday, February 28, 2009

Aditi

Unfortunately I was not able to change this into a movie file as it automatically squashed the image. It must, therefore, be viewed as a slideshow. I have put images 1, 26, 52 and 58, of the slideshow below. I named my piece Aditi after the Hindu goddess. Her name means boundless, or an infinite shoreless expanse. Whilst most religions identify a father/heaven-sun and a mother/Earth-growth, Aditi represents both the heavens and the Earth. Although I did not have a definite narrative, I worked with the sky/Earth theme. I wanted to focus on the transformation of colors. I stayed within the blues and orange/yellow hues for the details of her face and hair. As the sun moves through her face, her skin goes from dark blue to light blue. The transitions from dark to light look pretty smooth when the image is still but it feels somewhat jarring when you watch the images in succession. If I could do it over, I would try to get those transitions smoother. I also wasn't quite sure how to pace the sun, nor does it move in a smooth arc. The faster the sun moves, the more comfortable I am watching it. the hair also goes through a transformation, although it is more subtle (the eye will follow the sun). I wanted it to be reminiscent of clouds so I swirled the lines of the hair gradually until the lines became completely blurred. Even though the sun moves too slowly, the tree growing on her face is fairly well paced. This half of the project is more visually interesting as there is a shape change as well as a color change. The background also changes. I stepped out of my orange/blue theme and centered it on red hues. I wanted the background to be the opposite of the face in lightness/darkness. The hardest thing (or perhaps I should say most frustrating thing) about this project was the realization that something crucial was amiss or had to be changed in one image and therefore had to be changed in all 58 of them. There are a few things that I noticed towards the end but did not have the time to change. I think that this project would work well as a flip book.

No comments:

Post a Comment