Thursday, February 12, 2009

Waste





My comic is entitled ‘WASTE.’ Unsurprisingly, it is about waste management. It is very unrealistic, and the future I present is not a future that I believe will come to pass. However, I hope to engage the readers on the seriousness of the issue. If our waste is not managed correctly it can have a serious negative impact on the environment. Waste pollution is an issue that we must be concerned about in the United States as the most waste is generated in this nation. There is an average of 4.5 pounds of municipal solid waste generated per person per day. The first page opens with a dream sequence. A girl is sleeping and we see her bedroom disappear from around her bed. Then her bed appears to be on a watery surface which it then glides through. She falls through the air until
she reaches more water. She swims through this water and finds herself in an underwater museum. She swims past cases holding relics from our present and the next two thousand years of history, suggesting that it is probably four or five thousand years into the future. I put a lot of robots in to give the idea of technological progress, however I wanted to stay away from focusing on that too much. This is why in the rest of the comic there are things that are clearly recognizable from our present whereas, most likely the styles will change. I thought that if I tried to think up what daily objects would be used in the future it would be harder to get my message across. She swims out of the museum through a window and finds that the water she is swimming through is incredibly polluted. There are cans and other objects floating around and she swims by a trash heap. She swims up out of the air and starts to fly. She flies over skyscrapers that have been submerged underwater. In this future the icecaps have melted and the sea has risen. Even five thousand years into the future, it is uncertain that the Earth will actually be submerged in water. However, for the purposes of my story and due to the fact that there is no dialogue, I wanted to make things drastic and therefore make my message clear. She comes upon a small city that is standing unsteadily on poles coming out of the water. She lands and goes through a pair of doors into a corridor. She goes through another door to find a room. She finds multiple rooms that are all completely deserted. There is a strong prevalence of trash bags that are not noticed at first, but later are seen everywhere. I chose the last panel of this series to be a doll on a trash bag because I was hoping to give the impression of desolation. There is no trace of human life and dolls are something that a loving child would not leave behind. I didn’t want to suggest that humans have all died out however I did not want to paint a hopeful picture. She then has a reverse falling process and wakes up. I copied the pages of my comic as they would have been bound together. The order is 8,1, 2,7, 6,3 4,5.

No comments:

Post a Comment