Thursday, February 5, 2009

DJ: "The Battle"


DJ: "The Battle"

I decided to do my project on the issue of "Man vs Machine". I really got my idea from the story of John Henry. When choosing my topic initially I believe I was thinking too hard. I simply sat back and let my mind naturally pick a topic and "Man vs. Machine" was the first topic that arrived. To be honest as a child John Henry's story seem to pop up alot, so it was an easy choice to base my story around . I basically took the storyboard for John Henry triumphant Man vs. Machine tale to create DJ, an adolescent disc jockey who battles a robotic disc jockey and is victorious when the two battle head to head seeming to be at a disadvantage to the robust, advanced robot.





To show how I came up with the idea I will give a short version of John Henry's tale and you can see how my story and his are similiar in many ways , but also contrast because of the time period in which they occurred. John Henry in every form of the tale is presented as a massive man of great strength who was the most skilled "steel driver" in the world. John Henry was loved by all as he was a monstrous man, but full of love and pride. This tale is based upon a true story of a man named Henry supposedly. But in short John Henry was challenged when his owner purchased a steam powered hammer . John Henry challenged his owner that he could drill more spikes in the railwasy than the machine. The battle occurs and John Henry is succesful, but loses his live shortly after the victory.He is a hometown hero when he is living, but after his death he becomes a legend.
DJ is my modern day John Henry as you can see after viewing my project DJ is loved by the people for his skill with music. I played off the enemy the steam machine with a robot character who in comparison to DJ had four arms and a strong backing from his robot community. The two battle and DJ's skill and variations are too much for the robot to handle as he overheats and eventually blows up.Unlike John Henry DJ stays alive and all is back to normal as the people still love DJ , because he is the best disc jockey around.

Here is a link to John Henry's story (or you can just click the picture above):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGglKPqG16s

No comments:

Post a Comment