Thursday, February 26, 2009



First off, I really can't seem to upload a good video of my project. The clip above is super fast and shorter than the file saved on my computer. I'll look into it and try to upload a nicer one later. So anyway, for this project, I stuck with the superhero theme. I love making munnys, which are these blank vinyl toys, and I've been meaning to make a superman one. I started out with a sketch of how I wanted it to look like. Then i drafted a rough storyboard for a blank munny to look at an image of superman then eventually transform into Clark Kent then superman. (It is incredibly hard to tell that from this video, I'll hopefully show the powerpoint in class). I wanted my idea to have a Toy Story feel to it. The munnys are very cartoony and I didn't want to pose him off as actually becoming superman. Also, the idea works since the munny is self-conscious that he can transform. The next step was to make the munny. I used sculpey to mold its hair. I actually melted the munny head the first time I tried this (The previous times that I've made munnys, I boiled the sculpey since my parents hate me using the oven for clay...). Afterwards, I painted the two bodies. I used acrylic paint and it came out pretty nicely although I had my fair share of problems with it, such as matching the mixed colors and scratching the paint. Then I started the photoshoot in my room. I took a bunch of pictures of the blank munny whose head and body transforms, using the stop motion technique. After, I painted the head of the munny. Then back to the stop motion. I had a few problems with the stop motion. Firstly, I'm just using an ordinary digital camera with no tripod. It's hard to move back and forth without the camera moving slightly. It doesn't come out too bad but I had to put in a lot of work to keep the camera as steady as possible. I also had to take a lot of pictures. The powerpoint has 79 slides. Filming was pretty intense but really cool to do. I think the transformation of the blank munny to Clark Kent to superman came out really well and I'm quite proud of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment